Hello friends and fiends. It’s barely two days until the inaugural Three Speed Ride of 2014! Hope you are excited. I sure am.
And the weather looks like it will be on our side, mostly, hopefully. This week has been quite rainy in these parts, but it’s supposed to remain dry until Saturday evening. And how about the high temperature: 65F/18C! The highest temperature for 2014 so far! But don’t throw caution to the wind, it’s still advisable to bring your old waxed cotton rain cape (the one that smells like burnt crayon) “just in case”.
Here are some important things to note about this ride. Please read, especially if you have never been on this ride before:
- Please bring your three speed (duh!) But don’t worry if you don’t have one, “ride what you brung”. If you have an option between a performance bike and a non-performance bike, go for the latter.
- There is not really a “dress code” for this ride. This is not a “Tweed Ride”, nor is it Lake Pepin. I only ask that you dress as nice as you want to. If you want to wear a tweed jacket and plus-fours, please do! Just try not to look like a schlub. And no lycra or synthetic bike clothes. (Vintage wool jersey? Sure.) Please refrain from wearing your retina burning rain jacket unless it’s actually raining.
- You do not have to be a current member of Society of Three Speeds to take part in the ride, but we will be selling memberships at a discounted rate.
- We’ll also have some stock of the screenprinted poster from the first ride in 2011 available for sale for the ridiculously low price of $5. If you want one, please let me know in advance.
- The ride will be about 12 miles, mostly flat with maybe a hill or two thrown in for good measure (walk it if you have to), some unpaved/secret path action, and will end at a place we can enjoy “adult” beverages. Ride is not a loop, and will remain a mystery to everyone except myself throughout the course of the ride. Asking me where we’re going guarantees that you buy me a beer. (This is an official SoTS rule.) Never fear, I will not leave you at the end point stranded, as this is a highly civilised ride.
- And at some point within the second half of the ride we will have a self-catered tea stop. For this, you’ll need tea, whether prepared in advance and stored in a thermos, or prepared there via camp stove and pot/kettle. (This is the preferred method.) Of course you’ll need your own cup and any cream/sugar etc. A snack would also be nice.
- We meet up at 11 am and depart at 11:30 am. If you show up early, fine, but don’t get worried that no one is coming if it’s 10:50 am and no one else is there.
Alright, without further ado, the details for this Three Speed Ride:
Saturday March 8, 2014. Meet at 11 am at Woodlawn Park (under the bridge). Woodlawn Park is on NE Dekum just west of 13th Ave. Click here for a map.