Hello friends of three speeds! Since we are about half-way through the first week of the Three Speed October 2016 Challenge, now’s a time to give a wrap-up of how it’s looking. There’s quite a few of you out there, so here’s who I know completed a week successfully. If you have fulfilled three rides of three miles (or more) in the first week of the challenge (Sunday October 2 through Saturday October 8) and are NOT on the list below, let me know.
- Four Season Cycling: Doug in Duluth
- Tuckamore Dew: Keith in Edmonton (but not THAT Keith.)
- Five Toed Sloth: Scott in Pennsylvania.
- Jeremy over in Denmark!
- dorsett1957 Terry in St Petersburg Fla.
- sirpsycole Unknown location.
- Vince in Portland.
- EJP Events: Emee in Portland.
- Tim in Springfield, Ore. (See report below)
- Jack in Mankato, Minn. (See report below)
In the “participated, but don’t know for sure if they did three rides” category (so if you are here, let me know if you did complete the full week!):
And here’s a few reports sent in to me:
Tim in Springfield OR:
- 2 Oct 2016 Rode 9 miles round trip to participate in “The Worlds Shortest Bike Race” held at Falling Sky Brewery near the U of O in Eugene. 13.025 feet of fun…. I was in the finals and placed second, of who could ride it the slowest.. Just for grins I rode my Dahon 3 speed and it got lots of attention. Light rain and 62F. Home trip was via Sam Bonds Brewing in Eugene.
- 4 Oct 2016 Grocery shopping at Fred Meyer and post office box ride of 6.5 miles in Springfield. Kind of a slow ride with 15lbs of stuff in front basket on my Azuki 3 speed. Stopped and got a pic of the “Weather Rock” on the way home.
- 7 Oct 2016 Rode 11 miles to west Eugene to pick up a Basket for Katie’s bike. Was feeling hungry so stopped at Falling Sky Deli off Blair Street for a bowl of soup and a Puddles Porter. The go to bike, my Azuki’s basket is kind of dwarfed by the new one!
Jack in Mankato, Minn:
- Sunday October 2, 2016 Bike: Kabuki Tourist Three Speed (Sturmey Archer Equipped) Distance: 4.2 miles Purpose: Recreational ride to and from Sibley Park, Mankato, Minnesota on a warm October day.
- Monday, October 3, 2016 Bike: Kabuki Tourist Three Speed (Sturmey Archer Equipped) Distance: 3.8 miles Purpose: A utility/errand ride to and from Blue Earth County Library, Mankato, Minnesota to return and pick up books on a warm and windy October day. Photo of Native American Sculpture “Winter Warrior at Blue Earth County Library.
- Friday, October 7, 2016 Bike: Kabuki Tourist Three Speed (Sturmey Archer Equipped) Distance: 3.3 miles Purpose: A recreational ride on the Red Jacket Trail to the Minnesota River and back home. Photo taken at the junction of the Red jacket Trail and the Minnesota River Trail. First ride with new Cat Eye Velo 7 cyclometer and used Brooks B72.
If you are posting your entries via instagram, please make sure you tag it #threespeedoct2016 and mention @urbanadventureleaguepdx Also note what the ride is (i.e. Week 2, Ride 3) and include the mileage of the ride.
If you are posting your entries via flickr, please email me at email@example.com It is best to group your photos into a week specific album (titled as such: Three Speed October 2016, Week One) Like instagram, note what the ride is (i.e. Week 2, Ride 3) and include the mileage of the ride.
If you are blogging it, please email me your blog entries after the week is up.
Okay, get out there and ride! There’s still plenty of time to finish this year’s challenge!