Hello friends of Three Speeds! I skipped Three Speed October in 2018 so it’s been a year since the last challenge. And yes, it’s time for another challenge!
Announcing Three Speed Adventure April 2019!
This challenge is about doing things with/on a three speed bicycle that some people would unfairly consider “beyond its abilities”. These bikes are more able than even some seasoned three-speeders think! This challenge is open to any three speed internally geared bicycle, of any year, any country, any. Four and five speed internally geared bicycles also welcome to participate. No derailleurs.
The overall challenge consists of five different sub-challenges:
- Ride your three speed at least fifteen miles (25 km) in one ride.
- A climb of 5% or more grade, with a cumulative elevation gain of at least 100 feet (30 m).
- A bit of unpaved/dirt action, of at least a cumulative one half mile (1 km).
- Coffee outside via three speed.
- A bike overnight or bike camping trip by three speed.
You’ll find every little detail about the challenge here.
And unlike Three Speed October, it’s about quality not quantity. You can do all the challenges individually, do them all together, or in any combination you see fit!
I’ve done this event in 2017 and 2018. The basics have remained the same since then. Here’s what’s pertinent for this year’s event:
- The Three Speed Adventure April challenge will occur during the full calendar month of April, which in 2019 is Monday April 1st through Tuesday April 30th. So your ride(s) can happen anytime in April. (If you are doing a bike overnight, I will be so gracious to allow you to start one on Sunday March 31st, or end one on Wednesday May 1st. HOWEVER, any other challenges MUST happen within the month of April. So, if you do a bike overnight that overflows into the adjoining months AND want to add other stuff like Coffee Outside or the Climbing Challenge, they HAVE to be within April.)
- You’ll have all of May to submit the reports of your challenges. Deadline for submission is 11:59 PM PDT on Friday May 31, 2019.
- Find the forms onerous? Don’t do the internet? You can submit your challenge reports by mail! Please get in touch with me first (either by email or by post, address below). You will still have to submit the same report information that you would if you do online. You’ll also need to send me a pic of the bike (or bikes) you’re using, and if you can’t do that, you’ll need to send me a drawing instead. (And I don’t care that you “don’t know how to draw”.) You can submit postal reports individually or together. Reports will need to be postmarked no later than Friday May 31st.
- Prizes! You qualify for a one-inch button for each challenge you do. If you hit at least three of the sub-challenges, you’ll qualify for something special (to be determined). If you can do all five, great! But you won’t get something else beyond five buttons and the something special. Please note: It will cost between $5-15 to get the prize pack, plus shipping.
- Anyone who completes at least one (and any one) of the challenges will qualify for a discounted Society of Three Speeds membership! For 2019, this discount price will be $15 plus shipping. Get in touch with me directly to get info on purchase.
Okay! Looking forward to your participation! Please fill out the form below if you want to participate. The form will be open until May 1st. Once you complete the registration form, you’ll be sent the Challenge Completion form during the first week of April.
Email me if you have questions. Or write: Shawn Granton, P O Box 14185, Portland OR 97293
Posting your challenges to the internet? Please tag with #threespeedadvapr2019