Hello friends of three speeds! For years, I’ve talked/thought about doing a Three Speed Ride outside of Portland. Now this is going to become a reality, as Society of Three Speeds will be having a ride in Seattle!
Meet me at 11 AM on Saturday October 19, 2019. We shall meet by the fountain at Cal Anderson Park, 1635 11th Av in Capitol Hill. At 11:30, we will roll out on a 15 mile scenic and leisurely day cruise, touring numerous sites in the Emerald City. We’ll have a stop mid-way through to have a good old brew up. (BYO tea/coffee, camp stove, or already brewed beverage. We’ll also have a store stop before it for snacks or last-minute supplies.) We’ll end at an establishment that can serve us adult beverages.
Here’s some notes about this ride.
- This ride is open to ALL BICYCLES. Three speed hub-geared bikes obviously preferred, but if you don’t have one, run what you brung!
- RSVP is not required, but if you know you are coming, please drop me a line so I know how many folks to expect.
- Cal Anderson Park is just a couple blocks from the Capitol Hill Light Rail Station. So, it is an easy-to-get-to destination. If you are worried about starting on top of a hill, you can take the light rail to get there!
- Speaking of hills: Yes, we are riding three speeds in hilly Seattle! But fear not, this ride will be mostly flat. There will be grades up to 6% within the first mile, but from there grades will be mellow. If the hill is too steep for your ability, it’s okay to walk it.
- There will also be a bit of descent within the first couple miles. Please make sure your brakes are in tip-top shape!
- Roads in Seattle can be a bit rough, with numerous potholes. Plus, we will be making at least one rail (if not two) rail crossings. Please be aware of your surroundings and use caution on the ride.
- This ride is NOT A LOOP, and will end miles (and downhill) from our start point. I encourage you to ride or take public transportation to the start. If you do need to get back to the start point, it will be about two and a half more miles of riding for you to get to a Light Rail Station. Or it will be about a five mile ride all the way back.
- This ride can count as one of your rides for Three Speed October 2019 Challenge.
- This ride is open to members and non-members alike. Not a member but would like to become one? I’ll have some Society of Three Speeds membership kits available on the ride. If you are coming and interested in one, drop me a line so I can make sure I have enough.