Hello friends! After a hiatus last year (we had a photo challenge instead) the real-deal Three Speed April Challenge is back! Where Three Speed October is about riding your three speed more often, this challenge is about doing things you didn’t think possible with a three speed.
The basic Three Speed April Challenge remains the same. It is open to all bicycles equipped with a three (and four, and five) speed internal gear hub (without derailleurs), and can happen anywhere in the world. It consists of five sub-challenges:
- Ride your three speed at least fifteen miles (25 km) in one ride.
- A climb of 5% or more grade, with a cumulative elevation gain of at least 100 feet (30 m).
- A bit of unpaved/dirt action, of at least a cumulative one half mile (1 km).
- Coffee outside via three speed.
- A bike overnight or bike camping trip by three speed.
Three Speed April 2021 will happen Thursday April 1st through Friday April 30th, 2021. All times local to you.
You can find the full details of the Challenge here.
And here’s what you get if you do the Three Speed April 2021 Challenge:
- Do at least one challenge, get two stickers.
- Do three of the challenges, get the two stickers and a patch!
- Do the Overnight as a camping adventure, you’ll get the “Three Speed Camping” sticker in addition to other prizes!
- Do all five of the challenges, get an extra sticker!
Most of the challenge rules are the same from the last time it happened in 2019. But there are a few changes and tweaks:
- Coffee Outside Sub-challenge: In the past, you had to make your coffee on site. This year, you can do it via three different ways:
- Bring a stove and make coffee at your destination.
- Make coffee at home and bring it to your destination.
- Pick up coffee along the way and drink it at your destination.
- If you do go to a coffee shop, you have to ride at least a half-mile (1 km) away to consume the beverage. You cannot sit outside (or inside) the coffee shop.
- Overnight Sub-challenge: The ride to your destination must be at least five miles (8 km) one way. You can ride to friends/family, but the minimum distance to do that is 15 miles (25 km)
- Also, if you are doing a bike overnight, I will be so gracious to allow you to start one on Sunday March 31st, or end one on Saturday May 1st. So, if you do a bike overnight that overflows into either March 31 or May 1st, AND want to add other stuff like Coffee Outside or the Climbing Challenge, it is OK!
- Like the Three Speed October 2020 Challenge, this challenge will be done via mail-in reporting journal. You’ll register via my Etsy store (payment in advance required), then you’ll get the Official Reporting Journal mailed to you. When you complete the challenge, you’ll send me the Journal. I’ll then send you your prizes along with returning your Journal.
And here is the Three Speed April 2021 Challenge Timeframe:
- Monday 8 March 2021: Registration opens.
- Thursday 1 April 2021: Challenge opens, though you can start on Wednesday 31 March only if you do an Overnight (sub-challenge 4)
- Friday 30 April 2021: Last day of the Challenge. Registration closes.
- Friday 21 May 2021: Deadline for reporting the Challenge. Physical journals from US participants must be postmarked by this date. (I’ll keep on processing journals as I receive them.) Scanned journals from those outside the US must be received by this date as well.
Okay! That should cover it. If you have questions, please check out the full details here first. If your question still can’t be answered, email me at email@example.com You can register via the Etsy links below. If you are having problems or just don’t do online ordering, please get in touch!
Registration now open! Register via one of the links below.
- Just the registration $25 plus s/h
- Registration with the NEW Society of Three Speeds membership kit $45 plus s/h