What does membership to Society of Three Speeds (SoTS) entail? Besides showing support for three speed bicycles, here’s what you get:
- A membership card with your member number
- One 2 1/2″ patch, expertly sewn by Falls Creek Outfitters.
- Two one inch badges.
- Three 1 1/2″ weather-resistant vinyl stickers.
- A subscription to the Society of Three Speeds email list, where you will be notified of upcoming SoTS events and other items of interest.
Do you want to become a member? All you need is to pay the nominal membership fee and abide by the Three Rules of the Society of Three Speeds:
- I will endeavor to promote three speeds as a viable means of transportation.
- I will not denigrate three speed bicycles and will not allow others to disparage these humble bicycles.
- I will ride my three speed bicycle with pride and immense enjoyment. If I have not yet procured a three speed bicycle, I will do my best to obtain one posthaste.
Membership kits are $20 for the Basic Kit and $25 for the Deluxe Kit (plus shipping/handling.) What’s the difference between the two? The Deluxe Kit comes with one year of Postcard Club bundled in. That means you’ll get about four unique event postcards sent to you!
Don’t do the whole “ordering stuff online” thing? We can sell them “old school” too. We shall accept Domestic (US) Money Orders, International Money Orders in US currency amounts, and cold hard American cash through the post. We don’t accept personal checks unless we know ya. (And if you have to ask, we probably don’t know ya.) But hold your horses! Before you go ahead and send things willy-nilly through the post, contact us first for info. Email us here.Or, if you don’t even want to email, send a letter or postcard with your return address to SOCIETY OF THREE SPEEDS, P O BOX 14185, PORTLAND OR 97293-0185, USA. We’ll get back to you with prices and product info. But please note that I check my P O box once to twice a week, and am frequently out-of town, so the fastest way to order a membership is online.
Here are some notes, clarifications, etc. Please check these first. If I didn’t answer your question regarding membership, email me.
- If you are already a member and want to get all the new goods, simply purchase a membership kit and say you’re an existing member. This will count as a “renewal”. You will still retain your member number, you will not be a “new member” per se. (And no, you can’t get a new number if you are an existing member.)
- As of January of 2019, existing members will be able to purchase individual stickers, buttons, and patches a la carte.However, I’ve designed it so that the “best” deal for current and new members alike is to purchase them all together as a kit. Go to my store to see what’s available.
- You can “gift” folks a membership. In the notes of the order, please indicate full name, mailing address, and email address of the giftee. If you want me to let them know who gifted them the kit, indicate that as well.
- Membership to the Society of Three Speeds is available to everyone, anywhere in the world. You do not have to live in the Portland area, or in Oregon, or in the Pacific Northwest, or in the US, or North America, etc. (You should live on Earth, however.) While you won’t be able to go on the rides I put on in and around the Portland area, you will still be part of a larger global organization of three speed enthusiasts. We have members from all over the world!
- Speaking of rides, yes, please do a Three Speed Ride in (insert your town here.) I can’t be everywhere, and while the idea of having a ride in Kansas City or Winnipeg is appealing, I’m not going to be the one to make it happen. But maybe you can? Let me know what you’re planning, and I can try to help.
- You don’t need to own a three speed…yet. You do not have to currently own a three speed bicycle when you join the club. But you should definitely be into the idea of them, and pursue getting one in the next year or two.
- A note on membership numbers: Member numbers are given out in the order memberships are purchased. No special requests for a particular membership number, please. No requests to let me know when “we get close to a specific number”, either. Relax.
- A note on asking questions about whether you “qualify” for joining Society of Three Speeds: You’re already here, you got this far, you dig Three Speeds. You qualify. Don’t make this any more difficult for yourself or for me by asking silly questions whether you’re “right” for this or not. Don’t delay, act today!
Updated 25 July 2019