Hello friends. I didn’t want to do the traditional Three Speed Adventure April Challenge like I’ve been doing for the last few years–all the registrations, info collecting, Google spreadsheets, and nagging people had got me down. But now we are in this brave new world of global pandemic, which has led to the cancellation of my April ride in Portland. I want to do something.
I thought about bringing back some form of the original Adventure April challenges, since they can be done alone and with appropriate social distancing. But I also don’t want to encourage any risky and irresponsible behavior. So, I am going to do another three speed typed challenge project, one that you can even do when you are self-quarantined!
Over the next five weeks, from Sunday March 29 through Saturday May 2, I’m going to have a weekly Self-Challenge. The weekly prompts will be posted by the preceding Saturday. This will be a photo challenge, meaning get out your camera-typed object and document what I ask! This challenge has no registration, and no winners or prizes, basically you want to do this for yourself and have fun in these trying times.
Here are the fine print details:
- This can happen anywhere on earth.
- This is open to anyone who owns a bike with an internally geared hub of three, four, or five speeds. No more/less gears, no derailleurs, with the exception of Bromptons and chain tensioners. It doesn’t matter how old the bike is, or what country the bike came from.
- The photos can be fresh, or they can be from your archives.
- You can post one photo a day, with the maximum of six per week.
- You can post photos to your blog, Instagram, flickr, or tumblr. (No twitter or facebook, sorry.)
- Please tag your pic #threespeedadvapr2020
- Please write a good description!
- Make sure you mention the make and model of your bike (i.e. Raleigh Superbe), and year if you know.
- Let me know when you post. You can tag me in the post or email/DM me.
- Want to mail it in via post? Sure. You will need to include a photo, though. Email/DM me for more info.
- I will do my best to share as many posts as possible!
Okay! Look forward to your participation.
And here is the list of prompts, to be updated weekly on Saturday. This will be for the week that follows, Sunday through Saturday. All times your local time, so yes, you can post at 12:01 AM on Sunday in the UK, which will be 4:01 PM Saturday here in Portland.
- Week One, Sun 29 Mar through Sat 4 Apr: You and your three speed
This page updated 28 March 2020