The 2020 Challenge is over! Thank you to everyone who participated. Stay tuned for the 2021 Challenge. Details will be posted in the new year.
Hello friends. I didn’t want to do the traditional Three Speed Adventure April Challenge like I’ve been doing for the last few years–all the registrations, info collecting, Google spreadsheets, and nagging people had got me down. But now we are in this brave new world of global pandemic, which has led to the cancellation of my April ride in Portland. I want to do something.
I thought about bringing back some form of the original Adventure April challenges, since they can be done alone and with appropriate social distancing. But I also don’t want to encourage any risky and irresponsible behavior. So, I am going to do another three speed typed challenge project, one that you can even do when you are self-quarantined!
Over the next five weeks, from Sunday March 29 through Sunday May 3, I’m going to have a weekly Self-Challenge. The weekly prompts will be posted by the preceding Saturday. This will be a photo challenge, meaning get out your camera-typed object and document what I ask! This challenge has no registration, and no winners or prizes, basically you want to do this for yourself and have fun in these trying times.
Here are the fine print details:
- This can happen anywhere on earth.
- This is open to anyone who owns a bike with an internally geared hub of three, four, or five speeds. No more/less gears, no derailleurs, with the exception of Bromptons and chain tensioners. It doesn’t matter how old the bike is, or what country the bike came from.
- The photos can be fresh, or they can be from your archives.
- You can post one photo a day, with the maximum of six per week, with the exception of Week Five, when you can post all eight days.
- The week runs Sunday at 12:01 AM to Saturday at 11:59 PM, your local time. The exception is Week Five, which runs to the following Sunday (May 3rd). I don’t care that it’s “Sunday in Uzbekistan”, it has to be Sunday where you currently are.
- You can post photos to your blog, Instagram, flickr, or tumblr. (No twitter or facebook, sorry.)
- Please tag your pic #threespeedadvapr2020
- Please write a good description!
- Make sure you mention the make and model of your bike (i.e. Raleigh Superbe), and year if you know.
- Let me know when you post. You can tag me in the post or email/DM me.
- Want to mail it in via post? Sure. You will need to include a photo, though. Email/DM me for more info.
- I will do my best to share as many posts as possible!
Okay! Look forward to your participation.
And here is the list of prompts, to be updated weekly on Saturday. This will be for the week that follows, Sunday through Saturday. All times your local time, so yes, you can post at 12:01 AM on Sunday in the UK, which will be 4:01 PM Saturday here in Portland.
- Week One, Sun 29 Mar through Sat 4 Apr: You and your three speed
- Week Two, Sun 5 Apr through Sat 11 Apr: Getting artsy with your three speed
- Week Three, Sun 12 Apr through Sat 18 Apr: Three Speed in Nature
- Week Four, Sun 19 Apr through Sat 25 Apr: Three Speeds Carrying Stuff
- Week Five, Sun 26 Apr through Sun 3 May: Open Week/no theme (eight day week)
This page updated 27 May 2020