Membership is available to anyone who likes three speeds, anywhere in the world!
Welcome! Thank you for making it this far. This is where I “sell” you on the idea of becoming a member of Society of Three Speeds. But what exactly is this society? And why join? Most of you are not in Portland, Oregon, where I lead the rides, so you might not feel there’s a “point”. But here’s three salient points for joining, no matter where you are in the world:
- You like getting cool stuff in the mail. The big thing you get when you purchase a membership is a swell amount of swag. It includes a patch, buttons, some stickers, a postcard or two, an introductory guide, etc. Oh yeah, the membership card. Most people don’t get anything cool in the mail anymore. Joining the Society remedies this.
- You like joining a pseudo-serious “bike club” of like-minded individuals. The whole idea of this thing is to not be (insert your local road-racing club here.) There are no boring meetings, no “minutes recorded”, no in-fighting. Instead, you are “joining” a group of folks who share a common interest, and in the name of fun. Think of similar groups like the Tarik Saleh Bike Club or the League of Caffeinated Wheelers.*** What have you do to become a member of either? For TSBC it’s “ride bikes, try not to be an ass”. For LCW, it’s “ride bikes, like coffee”. Nothing more to that. Do you want to be in a club of folks who like three speeds?
- You are a fan of three speeds. I guess the best and easy way to describe SoTS is that it’s a fan club for three speeds. It’s a way to show to the world that three speeds are viable and valuable. Why did people join the David Cassidy Fan Club? Because they liked David Cassidy. Why do people join Society of Three Speeds? Because they like three speeds!
All membership levels contain these items:
- A membership card with your member number
- A leaflet describing the club and its benefits.
- One 2 1/2″ patch, expertly sewn by Falls Creek Outfitters.
- Three 1 1/2″ weather-resistant vinyl stickers.
- A subscription to the electronic Society of Three Speeds/Urban Adventure League mailing list. Mailings once to twice a month, on average.
There are three membership levels to choose from:
- Stripped Down. You get the above, that’s it. This membership level is primarily for those outside of the US, where the shipping costs on the other levels becomes expensive. The price is $18, plus shipping and handling.
- Basic. All of the above, plus two one-inch badges made by Button Arcade. The price is $20, plus shipping and handling.
- Deluxe. Everything in the Basic membership, plus some bonus stuff (changes from time to time) plus one year of Postcard Club. You’ll get three to six postcards sent to you, each with upcoming SoTS and Urban Adventure League happenings. Postcard Club can be renewed yearly. The price is $30, plus shipping and handling.
Please note that the prices listed above are subject to change.
Do you want to become a member? All you need is to pay the nominal membership fee and abide by the Three Rules of the Society of Three Speeds:
- I will endeavor to promote three speeds as a viable means of transportation.
- I will not denigrate three speed bicycles and will not allow others to disparage these humble bicycles.
- I will ride my three speed bicycle with pride and immense enjoyment. If I have not yet procured a three speed bicycle, I will do my best to obtain one posthaste.
Online store. You do not need to ask “Do I qualify?” or write me a thirteen page poem declaring your fealty to three speeds. You can simply fire up your internet device of choice, and using your internet browser of choice, go to one of my two Shops to order a membership level of your choice. This is by far the fastest and easiest way to do so. I typically get my orders out in 1 to 3 business days.
Here’s how to order:
- Stripped Down Membership is currently only at my Storenvy Shop.
- Basic Membership from my Storenvy Shop.
- Basic Membership from my Etsy Shop.
- Deluxe Membership from my Storenvy Shop.
- Deluxe Membership from my Etsy Shop.
Feel free to poke around in either my Storenvy or Etsy shop for more quality items. Note that the Storenvy shop usually has a wider selection.
Pay via Paypal or Ca$h App. Having problems with the online stores? You can request a membership and pay through PayPal or the Ca$h App. Please get in touch first, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request, and we can sort it out.
Order via Mail (Post). Don’t do the whole “ordering stuff online” thing? We can sell them “old school” too. You can send me money in the mail. This option is only available for U.S. Residents. In your mail-in order, please include the following information:
- Name of member
- Mailing (postal) address of member
- Email address
The prices for mail-in memberships:
- Basic is $25 ($20 plus $5 s/h)
- Deluxe is $38 ($30 plus $8 s/h)
- We do not do Stripped Down memberships via mail-in ordering
As for payment via post, we only accept:
- Domestic (US) Money Orders, made payable to “Shawn Granton”. (Money orders made to “Society of Three Speeds” or any other entity will be returned)
- Cold hard American cash
We don’t accept personal checks, cashiers checks, or any other form of payment.
Mail your membership application to:
SOCIETY OF THREE SPEEDS. PO BOX 14185, PORTLAND OR 97293-0185, USA
You can also send written inquiries here as well. Please note that I only check my P.O. Box once a week on average, so if you want your membership fast, order via my Etsy or Storenvy Shops!
Notes and Clarifications
Do you have more questions? Please check these first. If I didn’t answer your question regarding membership, email me.
- If you are already a member and want to get all the new goods, simply purchase a Basic Membership kit and say you’re an existing member. This will count as a “renewal”. You will still retain your member number, you will not be a “new member” per se. (And no, you can’t get a new number if you are an existing member.)
- Existing members are able to purchase individual stickers, buttons, and patches a la carte. However, I’ve designed it so that the “best” deal for current and new members alike is to purchase them all together as a kit. Go to my store to see what’s available.
- You can “gift” folks a membership. In the notes of the order, please indicate full name, mailing address, and email address of the giftee. If you want me to let them know who gifted them the kit, indicate that as well.
- Membership to the Society of Three Speeds is available to everyone, anywhere in the world. You do not have to live in the Portland area, or in Oregon, or in the Pacific Northwest, or in the US, or North America, etc. (You should live on Earth, however.) While you won’t be able to go on the rides I put on in and around the Portland area, you will still be part of a larger global organization of three speed enthusiasts. We have members from all over the world!
- Speaking of rides, yes, please do a Three Speed Ride in (insert your town here.) I can’t be everywhere, and while the idea of having a ride in Kansas City or Winnipeg is appealing, I’m not going to be the one to make it happen. But maybe you can? Let me know what you’re planning, and I can try to help.
- You don’t need to own a three speed…yet. You do not have to currently own a three speed bicycle when you join the club. But you should definitely be into the idea of them, and pursue getting one in the next year or three.
- A note on membership numbers: Member numbers are given out in the order memberships are purchased. No special requests for a particular membership number, please. And no requests for me to let you know when “we get close to a specific number”, either. I’m not going to remember, nor are you. Don’t make an excuse to not get a membership. This is supposed to be fun. Relax.
- A note on asking questions about whether you “qualify” for joining Society of Three Speeds: You’re already here, you got this far, you dig Three Speeds. You qualify. Don’t make this any more difficult for yourself or for me by asking silly questions whether you’re “right” for this or not. Don’t delay, act today!
Updated 15 June 2020